Register to Vote
Registering: You must be registered to vote in any election in Iowa. You may register to vote if:
- You are a citizen of the United States, and a resident of Iowa
- You are at least 17 1/2 years of age (must be 18 years old by election day to vote) or older
You must provide the following information:
- Iowa Driver’s License # or last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
- Your full name
- Your residence address
- Your date of birth
- Your name and address as given on your last registration (if applicable)
You may decline to give the following information:
- Your political party preference
- Your telephone number
- Be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored)
- Be judged mentally incompetent to vote by a court
- Claim the right to vote in any other place
WARNING: You can be convicted and fined up to $7,500.00 and/or jailed for up to five years for false information.
As of January 1, 2008, you may register at your precinct on Election Day. Be sure to bring along a photo ID with an expiration date stating your current address. If your photo ID does not have your current address please contact the Auditor’s Office at 641-623-5443 for additional requirements.
- 10 Days before Primary and General Elections which will be a Saturday. The Election Department will be open from 8am to 5pm on those Saturdays.
- 11 Days before all other Elections, which will be a Friday.
For information on upcoming election dates, see our Election Calendar.
The Election Department will be open normal weekday hours from 8am to 4pm
Where to register: Poweshiek County Auditor’s Office, Courthouse, 302 E Main Street, Montezuma, IA 50171
Questions: Direct questions to the Election Department at 641-623-5443.